Trinity was founded June 15, 1882 by sixteen Swedish Christians as The First Swedish Baptist Church in Bridgeport, CT.
With property donated by P.T. Barnum, in honor of Jenny Lind (known as the Swedish Nightengale), the first church building was constructed in 1884 on Seeley St (photo above).
In 1906, there were 185 baptized believers and a large ministry among young people.
In 1920, a new, larger sanctuary was built on Colorado Ave. Continued outreach to young people and the surrounding community made English, instead of Swedish, the spoken language.
By 1942, the membership rose to 310 people. On June 12, 1946, the name was changed to The Baptist Temple.
In 1958, a sister church, Long Hill Baptist, was founded in Trumbull with 22 members.
In 1969, the current property in Fairfield was purchased, and in 1971, the name Trinity Baptist Church was adopted. The first service was held in the new sanctuary on April 6, 1972 under Pastor John Dischinger.
In 1973, Dave and Barb DeVries joined Trinity. Pastor Dave was the Youth Pastor until May 1, 1976, when he became Senior Pastor.
Since then, additional properties adjacent to the church were acquired to house staff, global partners, and Renew Counseling Center. In 1986, the sanctuary, foyer, and classrooms were expanded and a new gym/gathering hall was added. The foyer expanded again in fall, 2018.
In December 2018, after 45 years of faithful service, Pastor Dave retired, and in January 2019, Pastor Dan Van Horne became our new Lead Pastor after serving at Trinity for 5 years as our Associate Pastor.
Today, the church has a wide variety of ministries and programs which serve to foster a community of families that seek to love God, love others, serve others, and keep growing with Jesus.